SANDAS SYMPOSIUM 2019
The 2019 SANDAS SYMPOSIUM was held on the 24th Sept 2019 and is our premier professional development and networking event for the South Australian Alcohol and Other Drug Sector.
Speaker presentations can now be downloaded below:
Dr Kate Seear
Drug Use & Human Rights
Program Manager, NADA
Annie Madden AO
Dr Monica Barratt
Dr Stephen Bright
AOD Media Watch
Stigma and the Media
The SANDAS South Australian AOD Treatment Sector Forum 2019 was held on the 27th of June at the Adelaide Pavilion. It was a great day of networking, and hearing about the services funded under the $20m in treatment funding tendered by the Commonwealth Government in late 2018. Emerging Minds ran a workshop in the afternoon on their new Conversation Guide for AOD workers.
Presentations for download:
Links to Emerging Minds resources:
Working With Families Masterclass
Join families AOD specialist, Paula Ross, in this practical masterclass for AOD professionals wanting to effectively work with families in AOD treatment
We all agree that involving families in AOD treatment improves outcomes. But do you know how to best work with families of people who use alcohol and other drugs?
This interactive workshop is full of demonstrations, clinical discussion and practical skills so you walk away with new and effective ways of working with families of people who use alcohol and other drugs.
This masterclass is for anyone who wants to develop their skills in AOD family practice. You’ll learn how to conceptualise and work with complex family dynamics and take a systems approach to family work.
- Understand how different families function and how that affects treatment
- Discover how to establish a collaboration and utilise it to improve outcomes for people in treatment and their families
- Learn how to harness families’ existing wisdom to get better outcomes for everyone
- Walk away with a 5 step model for working with families to focus your family work
- Work out what to do with the ‘tricky bits’ of working with families
Mawson Lakes Workshop, 22nd October, 9am – 5pm: https://www.trybooking.com/BEUNW
McLaren Vale Workshop, 23rd October, 9am – 5pm: https://www.trybooking.com/BEUPL
SANDAS currently provides the following networking opportunities. To enquire about joining any of these networks, please contact email@example.com
Co-Morbidity Network Group
The Co-Morbidity Network Group focuses on connecting Alcohol and Other Drug Programs with the Mental Health sector with the aim of improving outcomes for clients with comorbidities and to share knowledge amongst organisations in these fields. Guest speakers are invited from AOD, Mental Health and other relevant service organisations, and information is shared between workers at the six-weekly meetings.
Membership from workers in the alcohol and other drug or mental health sector is welcome, provided their current role is relevant to the network’s focus. Contact SANDAS for more information.
Refund of registration fees
- If a SANDAS event is cancelled, a full refund of any registration fees paid will be made within 30 days of the cancellation.
- If a registered participant cannot attend an event for any reason, SANDAS should be advised by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on (08) 8231 8818 as soon as possible. A full refund of registration fees will be made if this advice is received at least ten working days prior to the commencement of the event.
- No refund is payable if cancellation advice is received less than ten working days prior to the commencement of the event. Whilst we understand that personal circumstances or work commitments can change unavoidably at short notice, SANDAS cannot accept responsibility for such changes.
- No refund is payable if a participant is late for or fails to attend an event.
- Where a person or organisation has registered to attend an event but has not paid fees in advance, they will be liable to pay those fees if they fail to attend without ten working days’ notice.
Substitutions and Transfers
- Where a registered participant cannot attend, they may send a substitute. Requests for substitutions can be made by calling SANDAS on 08 82318818 and can be made at any time up to the event commencement date.
- SANDAS does not offer a facility for registration fees to be transferred to another event.